Day Six

My stomach was growling all of yesterday until I found that honey. I don’t think I have ever been that hungry before. While I do not recall much of my past childhood, I do remember always making things. I have held onto this memory since I gained it back .It brings me peace to know that I had a life before this. I wish I knew more about what kind of inventor I was though. I guess beggars can’t be choosers. I spent the night up north than at my camp because I spent so much time gathering materials and food it was too late to head back. Today, I want to go back to base and store my new findings.

I want to explore more of my surroundings. I want to fill out this map so I can feel a sense of accomplishment. It is difficult. The events that have transpired over the last couple days have been hectic to say the least. This place I am in feels evil in a sense. Like everything is working against me. I guess the idea of living comfortably is all but gone now. I need to stay busy so I do not lose my sanity.

After I drop off my gatherings I want to explore more North. Because it seemed so peaceful I am hoping to find more food and maybe even some more wild animals. I feel like I am looking for something. Maybe I am just using the map and food as an excuse but I can’t shake it. I know I am not looking for help, which is an idea that has been long gone for a while now. This is my life, I have to make the most of it.

This morning when I woke I looked out across the ocean. I noticed something moving. It was on two legs and looked rather human. I do not know if I was hallucinating or not but I had to check it out. When I started moving I noticed how heavy my pack was. I had to head back to base. My need to explore had to take a back-burner. I was heading south when I found some more carrots. I then heard something moving, like an animal struggling to get free.

I looked around and saw my trap, it caught a rabbit. When I picked it up the rabbit froze in fear. I didn’t have the means to cook it yet so I altered the trap a bit and made a cage. I gave it a carrot to eat and I soon reached my camp.

It took most of the morning to get back to camp. I was exhausted. Everything I collected weighted a ton and I could not wait to unload. I organized everything into my two chests and I felt light as a feather. I walked by my science machine, and as usual an idea popped into my head. I grabbed rope and logs as a first instinct. I sat down and let my mind work. I made some wooden planks and then the idea was clear. I could make a way to fortify my camp. I made barricades. Somewhat tall walls I could place around my camp. The feeling of safety was comforting. However, I couldn’t “install” them yet. I didn’t know what else I was going to add to my camp so I just left them near my chests.

I needed a better way to carry my stuff. I noticed the large amount of grass I brought back so I made a backpack. After my inventing session, I was left alone with my thoughts. I wanted to know what I saw up North. I had to go back up north and try to get across the ocean. Maybe I could go around that gap? I had to try. I crafted an “overnight” bag and left my camp.

I didn’t care what the time of day it was. I wanted to find out who or what was north. My explorer’s curiosity was getting the best of me. I came ready. I had some torches premade. I had food, and of course my log suit and spear. The closer north I got, the more mysterious the surroundings on. Night was approaching. Rabbits screeched and scurried off into their holes and birds swiftly flew back into the trees where their nests were. I thought to myself, “Could I have made a mistake?” Darkness came over me and I lit my torch.

With my torch in one hand and spear in the other, I was alert and ready for anything. I got to my earlier resting ground from last night and I followed the cliff east until it converged with more land. I was right; I was able to go around that gap. I moved north, slowly and cautiously. The “voices of the night” were making me nervous. Howling, snarling, I even heard some animals being hunted. 

My torch was slightly fading. In the faint light I saw a small structure. I had to get closer. When I did, I confirmed it as a tombstone. With the last light my torch offered I held it closer to the front of the tombstone to read what it said.

 “Here lies Wilson”