Day Two

It seems like I made it through the night. The fire was out and the morning chill was there to wake me up. I thought about starting another fire but I figured it could wait. I am lost. I do not know what to do today. I could sit here, waiting for someone to find me. What if no one comes? What if I sit at my camp for the entire day and no one comes. Then I would be low on food and kindling. I would have gotten nowhere. I can’t lose faith. I have to stay vigilant that someone will notice I am gone. What if no one knows I am gone? Why can’t I remember anything about my life before this? What if I was cold and mean to those around me? Could people be singing their praises that I am finally out of their lives? I hope that is not the case.

I have enough food for maybe two more days. I have to change this. I can’t survive off berries and carrots. I have to find some meat. I have to get one of these birds or rabbits running around. I feel like a scatter brain. My thoughts keep jumping around my head and it makes it hard to concentrate. What is this place? Why is all of this happening so suddenly? There has to be something wrong with this place. I do recall dreaming last night. While I feel like I did not sleep much, I do remember some of my dream. I saw a face. It was long and slender. That is all. I saw the mouth moving but no words were coming out. Maybe it is nothing, for all I know the face was my own.

I cannot keep sitting here dwelling on what will happen. I can’t plan so far ahead like this. I need to live every day as it is in the present, not the future. I need to stay busy or else I will drive myself crazy. I remember seeing those rocks to the west. I am going to dedicate some pages to draw up a map. I feel like it will come in handy. Last night when I was lost is something I do not want to relive. The day is young, I better get started.

I decided to head west of camp. Those boulders were great about giving up flint and other stones I need to make my tools. I was low on flint anyway. I think I dropped some when I was running from that monster last night. I may have just been too liberal with how much I was using when trying to get that torch lit. I also needed to make a weapon, a spear maybe. I knew those boulders would give me something I needed.

With sweat on my brow and the muscle ache from hours of hitting rocks with my pickaxe I look up and see a strange forest. I took a break from boulder breaking to take a look. The trees stood tall but seemed a little on the weaker side. I chopped a couple down, I needed the wood anyway. I had a gut feeling I was going to need them.

After I got the second tree down I heard something. I can’t exactly recall what the sound was. It was unlike any animal I have heard. But every time I looked behind me the noise would come from somewhere else. I began to feel uneasy. Like something bad was going to happen. I had a sinking feeling in my stomach. Maybe it was something I ate? I recall the events now I know it was my instinct telling me to get out of that area. I remember seeing something odd, it looked like a big egg and something was moving around it. I guess it was best to leave it alone…for now.

I wanted to get some more rocks, and the last boulder I broke had something shiny, a gold nugget. I got really excited, but in the back of my head I thought, “What am I going to use this for?” I didn’t want to toss it aside though. I kept it for good luck; you never know if it might come in handy. The sun was directly overhead and I wanted to start back towards camp. I saw some more berry bushes and I did not want to pass up the opportunity.

I heard some rustling by me as I was picking from the bush. I got really nervous. Was it that monster coming back for more? Was I too careless thinking it was afraid of daylight? I thought this was going to be my last moment. I grabbed my axe slowly, clenching it tightly. I heard the footsteps getting closer. It was now or never. I had to make a move. I quickly turn, unleash a hellish battle-cry and rush forward with my eyes closed. I felt like I was falling with so much adrenaline. Turns out, I did fall. I tripped on a somewhat big rock. I look up from the ground and I see this wild turkey.

I could smell the cooked turkey legs when I stared at this fat flightless bird. I sprang up and yelled, “GO FOR THE EYES!” I do not know why I said that, but it felt right. I was sprinting at full speed, but somehow, this turkey was faster than me. I chased it for some time. Eventually, I lost it. Damn, when I think about it now, I could really go for a turkey leg. I had a rough idea where I was so I drew it up on my map and went back to camp.

When I got back to camp, I just sat where my campfire was going to be, just waiting for it to get dark so I could start-up the fire. I made a checklist of things I was going to need and things I needed to make sure I had a stock of. My mind soon wandered into the negativity. What if I didn’t have enough food? What if I run out of energy to chop down wood? What happens when I use up all of those boulders? What if no one comes? I can’t survive off the bare minimum of food and tools. I needed to think about how I was going to make a real base camp. Night approached quickly, I made a fire pit with the extra stuff I mined from the boulders. I tried to rest immediately, but it was not working out. I was left alone with my thoughts again.

Once I closed my eyes I heard noises. It seemed like someone or something was pacing around in a circle, like they were getting their bearings to lunge at me. There was some growling as well. I swear I saw some glowing eyes, like there was just enough light from the fire to show. Slowly reached for my axe thinking I needed to protect myself. I heard a twig snap and I quickly jumped from my seat and spun around. When I looked back, nothing was there, and the silence of night was all I could hear. I hate this feeling of uneasiness. Is it all in my head? I have no idea, what I do know is that I hate it. I began to think, “I need a better weapon, and I need to build some kind of wall so nothing can see me or get to me.” How am I supposed to do these things? I have all of tomorrow to think about it. Now that the night has quieted down, I can get some rest. I am falling asleep as I write maybe I will dream, maybe when I wake up I will be in a bed.