Day 21

I woke on the 21st day to find a heavy chill weighing over me. It was the morning, but this was no morning chill. I felt as though winter was approaching. I hadn’t been near my Wintometer for some time so I wasn’t keeping an eye on it. I walked away from my burnt campfire and took in the landscape. That is when I noticed something rather peculiar; the animals seem to have changed. Before, I saw only crows and red birds. Now, I only witnessed blue birds flying around. Even the area around me had this blue like color to it. Like the place is signifying that it is getting colder. I am nowhere near prepared for this; I have to get to work.

I wanted to collect a surplus of firewood so I wouldn’t run out so quickly. If I wanted to survive winter, I needed to make sure I had the means to stay warm. I had to stay productive at the same time. My stock of food was dangerously low. While I wasn’t feeling hungry, I was going to need it through winter. I was in a Savannah like area and the rabbits were still out for some reason. I didn’t have the bait or the means to catch them, so I looked like an idiot running after something I was never going to catch. I stopped to gather my breath, and that is when I heard an unfamiliar noise.

I wasn’t scared, curiosity took over and I followed the deep mooing sounds to a clearing. I saw large silhouettes in the distance. They were daunting to look at, but I couldn’t stop my feet from moving closer. What I saw, was a supposedly docile creature. It was a four legged buffalo cow thing with shaggy fur. It was built to last through winter with its herd.

I didn’t know how to approach these creatures, but I had to name them. It feels odd, even writing this, but I want to call them Beefalos. It was getting dark so I curried around looking for a nice place to set up camp for the night.

As I moved around the herd of Beefalos I saw a wooden wall. Upon further inspection, this was a camp of sorts. It was manmade, it had to be. “But, how could that be? Could there really be someone else here?” I thought to myself. I had to find the entrance. My feet just took off at blinding speed.
I had to remain positive, “this place had to have been made with human hands” I said. Adrenaline was running through my body, it was carrying me all the way to the entrance of this camp. After a couple minutes of running I came to the entrance. I froze. What was once adrenaline was now fear. It went straight to my stomach and it was like a swallowed a lead ingot. What was once excitement was now anxiety.

I took my first step, and the crunching of the dead grass was so loud it hurt my ears.

The entrance spiraled in and it felt like it lasted forever, the anticipation was debilitating. I was growing colder and colder. I could see nothing, no light from a fire, no chatter of people, not even the sounds of the Beefalos. I peek around a corner to see what was inside the camp. I saw nothing.