Day 27

Something terrible happened. I woke up abruptly to a thick smoke filling up my lungs. My eyes were burning and my skin felt like it was melting. My eye cleared up a bit and I saw orange and red. My head was pounding. The loud crackle of fire was piercing my ears and the boom of falling trees made it feel like I was getting hit. I look around and I see the animals fleeing, pigs, spiders, birds, rabbits…Everything was leaving. Running for their lives. The loud roar of the fire was terrifying. It didn’t feel real. Was I in Hell? Did I die?


I stood up and regained a sense of reality, this was actually happening and I had to leave. I ran as fast as I could to get out. My legs were in so much pain. My lungs felt like they too were on fire. I could barely breathe and the coughing was excruciating. I didn’t want to stop running. Almost like a wall, I was freezing. I made it out of the fire. I watched this fire slowly dissipate. Trees fell, animals that were clinging onto their last thread of life finally passed on. Some of the bigger ones went back when the fire was gone, looking for their loved ones. Many found the ones they were looking for, but they couldn’t leave with them to find a new home.


“What have I done? Did my campfire start this fire? Was I the cause of this tragedy?” I thought to myself.

On the morning of the fire I barely escaped with my life. The forest I burned has damaged the ecosystem in a devastating way. Food and shelter has been destroyed for the wildlife here, and it was my fault. There was no life left. Just the burnt aftermath. It was such a grim scene. Small animals looking for their parents only to find them burnt to a crisp, lifeless and gone forever. How will these animals live in a world that is trying to kill them? How will they survive against monsters like me? I had to leave; I could not witness this anymore.

I wanted to head back to my base camp. At least there were no trees I could catch on fire there. I wanted to hibernate through winter, even though that is not an option. I needed to formulate a new game plan. I wandered in the direction of my base camp, not really caring what could happen to me. When I try to recall what happened, I am coming up blank. I ended up shooting passed my camp to a somewhat familiar area.

It was high noon and despite the sun shining, it was incredibly cold, I didn’t care though. I came upon an igloo. When I looked at my map, it was in the same place where I found that odd brick like outline. However, this time around, there was someone or something there and it was not kind to visitors.

I was attacked, by what looked like a walrus, but it had feet, hands and clothing. It was an odd sight to see but seeing those pigs for the first time kind of desensitized me to surprise when it comes to the inhabitants of this place. This walrus was not alone. He had a smaller walrus with him and a hound that was blue. He sicked the hound on me first. I reached into my backpack and grabbed what I thought was a spear. It was not a spear; it was a stick with a red gem on the end. I had no idea where this came from; I do not remember getting it or packing it. However, I made do and tried to use it as a weapon. It wasn’t sharp so I used it as a club. I smacked the hound on the head and a fireball shot out the gem hitting the igloo.

It was a wand of sorts. I kicked the hound back and shot another fireball at it. I hit the hound square in the face. It caught on fire and eventually stopped moving. I look at the walrus and we lock eyes. I saw the anger flare up, he charged after me. I sidestepped him and threw a fireball at his back. It hit, but he just shook it off like it was nothing. He turned with a blow gun in his hand. He fired off some darts; I was able to dodge them. I couldn’t get close; I didn’t want to get hit. They could be poisoned or tranquilizers. I could hear the darts whistle passed me. He ran out of darts in one pocket and he had to find the rest he had. This was my chance.


I move in closer to make sure I hit him. He finds more darts and fires them. Left, right, left, right, duck, slide I moved with seamless ease. I fire off two fireballs, this time catching him on fire. He ran around in a panic, screaming for mercy. He dropped to the ground with a loud thud. Still alive, but unwilling to fight. He was slowly dying. I turn to see the smaller walrus standing by the igloo, ready to fight. He was ready to kill. It had to be a kid; I may have well just killed his parent or guardian. The little guy charged after me, I raised the fire wand and threw a single fireball. Direct Hit.