Day 22

When I was recalling the events of what I saw yesterday at the empty camp to had to stop writing. My hands were trembling and I just couldn’t continue on. Discovering this camp has put a real damper on my emotions and thoughts about this dreaded place. However, I must talk about what I saw. Or else I will not get over it. I hope. When I turned the corner of the camp, I saw nothing but a few items. There was no one in the camp. I looked further into the camp, there was a chest. I rummaged through it, hoping to find something that indicated someone else was here. Maybe they were chronicling their survival like I am. I found some basic tools and material, even some food. Sadly, I didn’t find a journal. I looked in the opposite corner of the camp and I saw bones. I didn’t know what they were, much too big for being human. Maybe they were from the Beefalos outside.

I was getting ready to leave, but my legs stopped moving and I dropped to my knees. I started crying. Not from pain, but from my shattered hope. I wanted someone to be here. Hell, part of me wanted them to be injured so I can feel useful and I could patch them up. I wanted anything or anyone to be here. All I found was crippling disappointment and anger. I am tired of this place.

I found an odd looking waypoint. There were some pigs circling it, like they were on watch. They appeared to be wearing some kind of clothing, possibly symbolizing a tribe they belonged to. I wanted to meet them, hoping to establish some kind of friendly connection. Out of nowhere they shouted, “SAVE THE KING!” And they started charging at me. I stood my ground despite being outnumbered three to one. Despite how quickly they ran towards me, their actual fighting skills felt sluggish. So I was able to predict their movements and react with ease.

A pig worked its way into a blind spot of mine and threw a haymaker that knocked me to the ground. Another one followed up to stomp on me. I rolled out of the way and picked up a spear. In one motion I thrust my spear under the head of the pig. It went completely through and the stone spearhead was sticking out the top. Blood ran down my hand and I let the dead pig fall back. There were two left and almost unphased by their comrade falling. I broke off the spear that was stuck in the pig and used it to club down the next pig. I battered this animal to the ground. I beat it so bad the handle I had was no more than a pile of splinters.

I heard the final pig close in on me from behind. I spun around and threw a punch landing square on its nose. It stumbled and I walked closer and kicked it to the ground. I moved around its large body to the head, I lifted my foot, and plunged it into the skull of this defenseless pig. The blow made my leg and foot numb due to how much force I used. The sound of crunching bones and rupturing blood vessels filled my ears and red blood covered my entire leg. I moved my foot and a spurt of blood shot up and hit me on the face. I was angry, almost bloodthirsty. I felt like I was on fire and nothing could put me out.

When I stepped back to see what I had done, I snapped out of my rage and truly realized what happened. Tears started to well up in my eyes and there was a knot in my throat. My stomach started doing flips until I vomited. I couldn’t believe what I had just done. As I am writing this, I still can’t and the very thought makes me sick. “Was this murder?” I thought to myself. I know they were pigs, but they were shaped to resemble humans. I even began to question my judgment. I doubted even being attacked and I just blacked out and went on a rampage. I will never know, because I am alone. The caved in remnants of the curb stomped pig, the impaled pig with its eye wide open, and the swollen pig with a bruised up face and broken bones, these are the closest things to people I have come in contact with, and I murdered them.

I wandered away from the aftermath of my fight, I began to feel colder. The wind may have been making me cold due to being covered in blood, or that it was my subconscious telling me that I did a horrible thing. My heart felt frozen, I could barely move. In the distance I saw something shimmering in the sun. I felt compelled to find out what it was. It was a rather large gold ring. I picked it up and put it over my shoulder. It was too unique to leave behind.

The events that transpired today are something I will never forget. I am tired, but when I close my eyes I see the images of what I had done. The stench of blood is still on me because I couldn’t find any water to wash it off. I found bits of bone embedded into my shoe. I don’t want to become a monster. I don’t want to be a violent survivor in this world, but it may prove to be no choice.

The fire is crackling and the warmth feels nice. I looked to the sky and something cold lands on my forehead. I am going to lay inside my tent. Hopefully I can fall asleep.