Day 23

Yesterday was a rough day for me. I didn’t get any sleep. Every time I closed my eyes I saw what I did. I will never forgive myself for what I did. Nothing deserves that kind of brutality. While I continue to beat myself up about what I did, I have to continue to prepare for winter. My To-Do list is as follows.
  • Find food
  • Explore West
  • Devise a way to stay warm while exploring
Food is definitely a top priority. I ran out of rations last night.

I was becoming sluggish. Winter was definitely showing this morning. I could not top shivering. I didn’t see any snow so I assumed I would have more time to prepare before the harshest part of winter shows up. To keep things realistic, it will show up when I don’t want it to. I need to craft myself a coat. I can’t be walking around in the snow and cold without one. My beard has grown to be quite the blanket, but that only does so much. I ran out of food rations, but I knew I had food back at my main camp. It ran across my mind that a lot of that food may be spoiled. Regardless, that was something I needed to get around to.

I found a rather thick forest of evergreen trees slightly north of the desert area I found the abandoned camp in. It was really ominous but inviting. The forest was very dense, there was a road going down the middle of it though. Curiosity struck me again and my justification was that I may find food down this area. This world I am in, it seems to take advantage of my scientific nature to discover new things.

The woods felt like they were watching me as I was passing through. The strong wind was making the trees move and the noises from them moving somehow made it seem quieter. I felt uneasy, but I could not stop walking forward. I had to know what this area held for me.

I started to hear noises. Not from the trees but from something of someone else. I slowed my pace once I saw a huge silhouette. It was daunting with how big this thing looked. I thought it was a mountain but I noticed movements of what appeared to be a head. I hid behind a tree to hopefully see what was going on but also not be seen.

After a few minutes of observing I saw the head turn, and an arm raise up. It was pointing right at me. I saw the hand, but it wasn’t a hand, it was a hoof! This massive thing was a pig! Then I realized it was pointing at me. I saw two figures approach me but before they could fully see me I bolted. I looked to the sky and noticed the darkness approaching me. Fast.

I heard more footsteps. I look behind me and those figures were gone, but I saw those red eyes chasing me. The monster that only came out at night, my heart skipped a beat. I picked up my pace hoping to outrun it. I was running faster than I ever had, but it was gaining on me. All of a sudden, I stopped. My subconscious was oddly aware of my surroundings and it stopped me right before one of those living holes.

I had no choice. I had to take a leap of faith, literally. The monster was gaining on me and I leapt into the hole. It was dark, and I was unsure of where I was going. I wanted to at least hit the bottom of this hole soon so I wouldn’t die. Then, my direction shifted. I started “falling up” and I saw the opening again. I shot out of the hole. After rubbing my hurt backside I looked around. There was still some light out and I saw where I was. I was just due south of my camp. I finally caught a break. I ran as fast as I could to my camp.

Rummaging through my chests I found stuff I could light my fire pit with. I sparked the flint and the roaring fire started.


That pig was massive, but I want to go back and make contact soon. I want to be more prepared in terms of fighting readiness and weather readiness. My fire is roaring, and I just found some meat. So that smells delicious right now. After I eat, I am going to get some rest in my tent. Something cold just fell on my hand, it looked like water. Great, it just started snowing.