Day 30

I awoke to the Bunnyman shaking me. There was no danger, but I guess I was sleeping in. There was no morning sun to wake up to. Just the darkness. The cold and humid atmosphere was uninspiring. I didn't want to do anything but sleep. I have no sense of direction in this place, nor do I have a sense of time. My whole methods are out the window in this cave, and I am not sure if I like the change.


We walked deeper into the cave, discovering the new ecosystem that is so different from the surface. I heard a few peculiar noises. I even saw shadows from the corner of my eyes. My put them out of my mind. The idea of someone following me without my knowledge makes my skin crawl. I look up, and there is a pair of glowing red eyes, floating in the air. The sound of flapping wings were echoing through the tunnel, creating a sound I should fear. A bat dive-bombed me, taking chunks of flesh from my arms. It bit my neck, and I felt as though my life was being drained from me.


The Bunnyman let out a war cry and rushed towards me. It ripped the bat off my neck and bit off one of the wings. The crippled bat slowly died on the floor struggling to fly. The Bunnyman then let out a cry in pain. Another bat flew in behind it, latching onto its back. The Bunnyman quickly grabbed it and threw it against the wall. The bat exploded from the impact, leaving behind a mangled corpse.


Despite my bleeding arms and pulsating neck, I was joyous. This Bunnyman saved my life. This world is not all evil, there is someone here to help me and watch my back. I thanked the Bunnyman with a few carrots and we moved deeper into the cave, on our guard, ready for anything. As we were walking away from the bat corpses, a though crossed my mind, “It would really suck if I turned into a vampire from the bites.”


A large opening was in front of me. Light was leaking through. I ran to see what it was. Maybe it was a saving grace. Maybe it was an exit to a new place in the surface. When I passed through I was shocked. It was an ecosystem just like the surface. It had everything, berry bushes, animals, trees and even some of the surface animals. I moved quickly, I chopped down trees, gathered berries, and set up camp. While it was still cold and damp, it was more comfortable to lay down on than hard rock.


There were no seasons here. I would not have to worry about the Deerclops (if there were more) during winter. Nor would I have to worry about the blazing sun spoiling my food because it was too hot. The dangers are still unknown but this could be the break I have been looking for. As I explored, I noticed rocks jetting up from the ground. I thought, “What the hell?” grabbed my pickaxe, and swung as hard as I could. I shattered the stalagmite and it yielded gold, flint, and stone. I was thrilled. I mined for hours, getting enough gold to build my science machines to make my camp feel more at home.


I went to mine some more after I built the machines. I was thinking in the long term and some extra materials would be helpful. I cam across a peculiar looking stalagmite. I figured it was just a differently formed one and that they all looked different up close, like snowflakes. I swung my pickaxe and heard the loud thud of the pickaxe colliding with the stalagmite. Nothing broke, but I did hear an unsettling sound, snarling. It was loud and raspy, it sounded vaguely familiar. I saw red eyes emerge, one giant red eye and four small red eyes. They belonged to spiders. These spiders were not like the ones on the surface. Their looks appear to be adapted to the surroundings of the cave. Sometimes, evolution really does suck. They saw better in the caves than I did, so when I tried to run, they were always one step ahead of me.


The spider with the big red eye was closing in. I turned to run and I tripped and fell. My leg was stuck on something, a web. I free myself and I get hit in the back with something tough. It was more webbing. The spider with four red eyes was spitting out projectiles of webbing. This Spitter was able to think ahead of me and it knocked me down, pinning me to the tough rocky ground. The two spiders were getting closer and closer. Their mouths watering at the sight of a live meal. I yelled as loud as I could, “Bunnyman, HELP ME!”



I hear the loud footsteps of the Bunnyman approaching. It was sprinting to my aid. It jumped over me and landed directly onto the Spitter, crushing it. The Bunnyman reared up and let out a loud roar. It picked up the cave spider and crushed it in it's hands. The Bunnyman helped me get free of the spider webs. I didn't know what else to do but hug it. This was the second time this Bunnyman saved me. I owed it my life.